Samstag, 21. Dezember 2019

Pokemon Fangame - 'Pokemon Reborn' Review 1' - Dark and Magnificent (English)

TL; DR -
Fangames
Reborn Content & Features
Spoilerfee Shortreview
Pro & Con
Gym Leader-Battle 1 Commentary
 
One week ago I came across this fangame through the recommendation of a friend who is kind of a veteran regarding pokemon hacks. While Pokemon Sword and Shield still don’t interest me in the slightest and I didn’t enjoy the official pokemon series since B/W 2, the setting of this game caught my attention. It is my first, full-fledged Pokemon Fangame and I decided to do kind of a Walkthrough-review consisting of various small reports of my progress and my thoughts. Pokemon Reborn is - in my opinion - justified called one of the top ten pokemon hacks of alltime. Note, I do not even have 3 hours of playtime - Still, I dare say that. I've played about a dozen other fangames in the last few weeks, none of which could tie me up for more than a few minutes. Pokemon Reborn is already one of the best Pokemon experiences I've ever had.
In this reports for players of the game just as curious folkswho would like to know more about it, I will give you my pros and cons about the game as I progress.
 
Important:
This article separates into spoiler-free summary and spoiler zone with a more detailed description of my fight against the first gym-leader. The latter is only for you if you have already played Reborn, fear no spoilers or really want to know exactly what makes up the battles. This report is translated by me from german, so please forgive me if my english sounds clumsy here and there. Here we go.
 
Content: (From the game's website)
Reborn City - Black smog and acidic water garnish the crumbling structures along the skyline. City streets celebration like alleys with disaster and crime. But the metropolis stands, a decaying blemish on the once-vibrant region.
This world needs a hero.
Pokemon Reborn is an Emerald-styled downloadable game featuring all content through Generation 7. Experience a never-before-seen layer of strategy with all-original field effects, using the terrain to overwhelm and overwhelm your opponent! 807 Pokemon available in-game and take on Gym Leaders of all 18 types Reborn to prosperity!
Features:
  • All 21 Starters available
  • All 807 Pokemon to be found
  • Brand new Field Effect system!
  • Current release playtime ~ 55 + hours
  • 18 typed gyms
  • Massive, detailed world
  • GlitchxCity
  • Customized Shiny Pokemon
  • Online Battling + Trading
  • Wondertrading
  • Many, many more!
  •  
Spoiler-Free Summary - Pokemon Reborn:
Pokemon Reborn is what many, including me, always wanted - a relentlessly gloomy, dystopian and in some aspects painfully realistic Pokemon with a (really, really) challenging, but until now never unfair level of difficulty in its own, very bleak but refreshing region, as different from the official games as it can get, distinctively immersive atmosphere and great characters. The game reminds me so far more of Pokemon Black / White (2) than emerald, but this may be due to the fact that almost everything is monochrome stylized here - that's not common for the pokemon-franchise and that makes it all the more appealing. What sets Reborn apart from many other fangames is the level of polishing - at my current progress, Pokemon Reborn feels perfect, plays great and looks immaculate. Apart from the seriousness and morbidity of the world, there is nothing to separate it from an official game - for me it beats editions like Platin or Fire red by a long shot and that after not even three hours. If you only want to play a single pokemon fangame in your life, play this one. It is highly polished in every way and so completely independent.
The game is free to get and dangerous addictive.
Note, until recently, I did not take Fangames seriously because I thought of them as only cheap emerald hacks. I was also very skeptical about Reborn, but was blown away without a chance.
Now I will show you my PRO's and CON's of my first three hours, as spoiler-free and short as possible:
 
PRO:
+ Great animations & artworks known since B/W before battling an important trainer
+ Select from all starters of all gens
+ Each gym leader has 6 pokemon.
+ The extremely immersive and consistent, grim but not hopeless atmosphere
+ The soundtrack is unquestionably gigantic, better than any previous official Pokemon soundtrack and every situation is especially and dramatically underscored, even Team meteor grunt-fights come along with sinister choirs. Only a few pieces of game freak can even compete with most of reborns tracks.
(i.e. Zinnias Themes, G-Cis-Theme and the gym leader-Theme of Sword & Shield.)
+ The optical design of the possible protagonists and the different, important characters are quite stylish, appealing and at least on one level with the official games, if not better by one or two levels
+ The difficulty is much more demanding than any official game, without becoming frustrating or unfair as the battle frontier in emerald was at times. Who does not give everything in Reborn and does not fight strategically goes down hopelessly.
+ The graphics could be from an official source and nowhere is a suggestion that this is ‘only’ a fan hack. The environments are full of cool details and harmonize well.
+ Distinguished refinement and a self-awareness which Game Freak lacks these days
+ (Useful) items are scattered everywhere on the outside, really everywhere - In tons, boxes, stones, chests. It feels incredibly rewarding to look for stuff.
+ Team Meteor uses a lot of different Pokemon and types, you hardly see one twice in a row. Also, they are terrorists that REALLY look like violent terrorists.
+ The immersion, ambience and pacing are wonderfully done and lead to a fun game I have not had for a long time in this franchise.
+ There are actual, serious missions like in RPGs and the first one in the factory was already fantastic - The fights were incredibly challenging, the music was awesome, there were opponents which were no sad jokes, the seriousness of the world showed itself.
+ The music piece of the first gym leader. So much love.
 
Now that I look at the list it looks very long, but it IS a really good game. Of course, there were also flaws that I noticed:
 
CON:
- Just like in all the official games you can not give up trainer fights if it is obvious that they are lost so you have to wait in frustration for ten minutes until the opponent defeated all of your Pokémon.
- The full / window screen size is only changeable in the menu, which is annoying.
- The weather effects in battles are - just as in the main games too - slow and clumsily built in and disturb the flow of the battle every turn.
- The world is not yet open and there were no re-fightable trainers, so I was, at a certain point, forced to defeat the first gym-leader to progress - While official editions have already done that, its weighs much more here because of the high difficulty, besides the wild pokemon and the gym leader’s pokemon, there is no way to train any more when all enemies in the area are defeated - this is curse and blessing, you can not overlevel, you have to fight strategically.
- If you lose against the gym leader, she does not comment on that. Instead as usual, we pass out and run away - very anticlimatic and silly.
 
Most of it is actually obvious nitpicking. There was also a neutral point:
 
+ - I would have liked it if the pokemon center of the slums had wanted money for its service.
 
This is where the spoiler-free part ends - If you have the time to play a great 2D Pokemon again or play a serious edition for the first time, I recommend Reborn with a clear conscience. I will write the second report, probably much shorter, in quite some time. But now I will get to the description of my first gym leader battle. spoiler warning.
 
Fighting Gym Leader 1 - Julia
Electro type
 
First try: My team consists of three core Pokemon I train and three shield Pokemon which serve as, well, shields when I need to heal the Core three. My core three are a brionne, a goldeen and a butterfree LV 15 - 18. The six Pokemon of my opponent were at LV 11 - 15. In the arena I discovered goldeens anti-electro attack ability and thought it would be a free ticket to victory, as it was the case with almost all trainers in the arena. I was wrong, as sound wave and the Fly-Pokemon of my opponent made clear. I often had to change pokemon, use items and sacrifice the shield-Pokemon, it was incredibly exciting. Unfortunately, In the end the electrode burned my three core pokemon to the ground.
 
Second try: I was stupid enough to run into the battle without buying items and lost my Goldeen already at the second Pokemon. I knew it was over and I was right. Humility.
 
Third attempt: This time I took it seriously - I now knew what Reborn wanted me to do. For the first time in my history with pokemon, I prepared extensively for a gym leader fight. I bought 10 potions, changed my team-constellation and gave them items. I wiped away her plusle and her minun with Goldeen and defeated the rest after a few potions swaps. Her electrode made short work of my three shield- Pokemon while I was healing the core three. First, I sent my butterfree to weaken the enemy a little, I expected no great success. I was incredibly lucky three times in a row - confusion confused elektrode, lektrode hurt himself, elektrode missed my butterfree. Only then was it knocked out, but until then it could cause good damage. Goldeen continued until my opponent used two potions, so did I, an endurance battle. But before Goldeen could defeat her last pokemon, elektrode was suddenly faster for the first time and I lost my goldfish. It was time for my starter to enter the stage and finish the job, which it did only with a few remaining life points. I had won the fight and was nervous at the end, but happy and proud. After the first of 18 gym leaders.
 
I can say without doubt that this was the most exciting and strategic Pokemon fight I ever fought, even a bit before my more difficult battle frontier fights. Pokemon Reborn asked me to act with brains, to get up again after frustrating defeats, to get everything out of my team and still suffer through it. Just like a gym leader battle should be. This is what I say as someone who was never interested in the difficulty in Pokemon and who usually dislikes hard games. I hope I could bring across why the combat system is greatly executed here.
 
I'm curious how it goes on and am looking forward to the long, big, wide rest of the game.

 
Thank you.

- Yoraiko

 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Lass mich doch wissen, was du denkst!